Counseling for New Mothers
Having a newborn, whether it’s your first or your fourth, can be a very stressful time. It can be particularly upsetting and frightening to have feelings about motherhood that don’t seem “right.” There is a lot of pressure in our society to love everything about motherhood and to always stay calm and happy. This unrealistic expectation is perpetuated on tv shows or movies, in books, and on social media. Because of this, many women are afraid to share that they are struggling.
For some people, regular exercise, maintaining a healthy diet, and receiving help and support from family and friends are sufficient enough to get through the initial adjustment period. For others, talking to a therapist who specializes in dealing with new motherhood issues can be particularly helpful as they can provide both validation and tools to help you manage this stressful period.
Some therapists have extensive education and training in postpartum disorders and understand that hormone changes, personal and family history, and social support are all vital factors in understanding and alleviating postpartum symptoms.
Common postpartum symptoms include:
- Feeling overwhelmed and wondering if you should have become a parent in the first place
- Feeling guilty due to high self-expectations
- Not feeling “bonded” with the baby or feeling overly bonded with the baby and not allowing anyone else to care for him/her
- Your thoughts are racing and you can’t quiet your mind
- Feeling empty and numb as if you’re just going through the motions
- Lack of focus and concentration
- Being afraid that if you reach out for help, others will judge your inabilities
- Thoughts of running away or leaving your baby behind
- Being constantly in a state of worry
If one or more of the above symptoms resonates with you, please contact me to set up a free phone consultation. Together, we can find the underlying issues that are leading you to feel disconnected from your baby or overly anxious. We will set goals of treatment together and equip you with the tools you need to help manage the postpartum period. Contact me today to see how I can help.